Blast from the Past
by John Rich
Ladies & Gentlemen:
I have continued to upload old HCC newsletters from the archive box, and with the completion this month of the years 1988 and 1989, I now have 1980 through 1989 on the web site.
Some of the interesting things you'll discover in the 1988 and 1989 batch of old newsletters just added, are:
- Wallisville dam project threatens to destroy Lake Charlotte.
- The Army Corps of Engineers requires permits to paddle Wallisville area.
- An HCC group rescues a stranded family on the Pecos River.
- A batch of throw ropes was recalled by the manufacturer, because... they sank!
- Louis Aulbach publishes his first river guide book.
- Two Mexican teens are apprehended for shooting and killing a Rio Grande River rafter.
- Buffalo Bayou used to be dyed green for St. Patrick's day.
- Easter paddles on Lake Houston featured Easter eggs hidden on lily pads.
- An explanation of the origin and rules of the game of "Dead fish polo".
- State legislature considers making all riverbanks private property.
All this, and much more, is available for your reading pleasure.
Click the button link below to go see the documents - scroll down to the bottom of the Newsletter index list for the 1980's dates recently loaded.
Set the Stargate teleportation destination to 1988, and step through the portal!
("Stargate", TV Series, Richard Dean Anderson, 1997-2007)